Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Decluttering is good therapy

To continue my quest for getting organised, i decided to re-organise my storeroom. there were so many files of manuscripts of my books which have been published but i still keep them, just in case. then, there are newspapers' cuttings, advertisements, brochures, etc which i thought i might need one day. so difficult to throw but something got to be done because i am running out of space. Then, there are keepsakes like cards and letters, etc, even little gifts from my students.
i used to think that if i spent time re-organising, i would be wasting time cos there's so much to do and i still have some writing assignments to do. But i could not write either with all the clutter. I could not find anything i want and i wasted a lot of time searching. So, it was time to throw. And after doing just a quarter of it, i feel so motivated to write again.
I sorted the piles of papers into a few categories, to be read, to be filed, to throw and to do. I threw out articles and clippings that i knew i could get from the internet. It took me the whole afternoon and i filled up a lot of garbage bags. But at least my store is a bit orderly now. I found many 'lost' papers and things. And you know what, at least i have space to walk and look around. And the mosquitoes do not have a place to hide anymore. Sigh, teachers are natural hoarders. Does anyone out there have this problem too? Try decluttering a corner at a time, at least it is not so overwhelming. And it is therapeutic too. You will feel good.

No comments: