Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goodbye, MJ

Finally, I am ready to let him go.....Michael Jackson and I grew up together...I connected with his songs way back when he was still with Jackson 5. Ben, I'll Be There....When I started strumming the guitar, it was his songs that became my favourites. Then, in my varsity days, he went solo and had so many hits. We would rushed to the common room just to watch him sing Beat It, all one hundred of us in the cramped room. Those days there were no MTV and every video clip was magic.
Later, when i got married, and had a son, he became my son's favourite singer too..That is how transcending he is and then, when the media became preoccupied with his 'weirdness', i sensed that he was just lost and very alone...Anyone could see that he was troubled but no one could help him...As I watch his videos again, I cannot fathom how someone so talented could be so unsure of himself. How someone so gifted could be so lost without his Maker.
I stayed up late to watch his memorial on tv. The minute Mariah Carey sang "You and I must make a pact.....' from 'I'll be there' the tears started and continued throughout the show. When Brooke Shields went up to give her farewell speech, I was sobbing too cos i could see that her friendship with him was genuine and special.

My cousin sent me a big box. In it, there is a CD of his greatest hits and a special issue of Time magazine on his life...there is more space for his memorabilia but none can ever replace the empty space he left behind....
May you finally rest in peace now

1 comment:

iNsOmNiAc said...

sobs! :'(
he left sucha huge void that cud never be filled in...
missing him much, may he rest in peace.